FindLaw Legal Dictionary
The FindLaw Legal Dictionary -- free access to over 8260 definitions of legal terms. Search for a definition or browse our legal glossaries.
Traffic Law and DUI Law Glossary
Trying to decipher an acronym? Attempting to understand legal jargon? The Traffic Law and DUI glossary gives you access to definitions for Traffic Law and DUI legal terminology commonly used in documents and sentencing. This Traffic Law and DUI Law glossary will help you understand the legal terms and phrases which are relevant to DUI charges, speeding tickets, and other areas of Traffic and DUI law.
FindLaw is your starting place for help understanding the law. Start here to find resources to learn how to find an attorney, legal aid services and legal self help. Click here to find more Traffic and DUI legal information.
- used for a device that is used to determine the alcohol content of a breath sample
- : theft by force or intimidation of an auto that has a driver or passenger present
- 1 : a writ giving notice to a person to appear in court: as a : a process served upon an interested party in a probate proceeding b : a notice to a person that he or she is charged with a petty ...
- Driving Under The Influence
- :the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated by drugs or esp. alcohol called also driving while intoxicated drunk driving drunken driving NOTE: Most states specify by statute a level ...
- driving while intoxicated
- 1 : having left the scene of a motor vehicle accident without stopping to fulfill the duties imposed by law (as rendering aid or giving identification) [a driver] 2 : involving or concerning a ...
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test
- : a test for intoxication (as of a driver) based on observation of involuntary jerking movements of the eyes as they follow horizontal motion
- -cat·ed -cat·ing : to excite or stupefy by alcohol or a drug esp. to the point where physical and mental control is markedly diminished see also driving under the influence
- 1 : the state or condition of being intoxicated 2 : a defense based on inability to form the requisite specific intent to commit a crime due to intoxication
- : to cross a street carelessly or in an illegal manner so as to be endangered by traffic
- Motor Vehicle Record (Mvr)
- The written record of a particular driver's accidents and traffic violations. An MVR may be reviewed when an insurance agent is giving a quote for automobile insurance rates: the more accidents and ...
- Moving Violation
- : a violation (as speeding or drunk driving) of motor vehicle or traffic laws that is made while the vehicle is moving
- Right Of Way
- 1 : an easement or servitude over another's land conferring a right of passage 2 a : the area over which a right of way exists b : the strip of land over which is built a public road c : the land ...
- Social Host
- : a person who furnishes another with alcohol in a social setting and not as a licensed vendor [courts…reluctant to impose liability on social hosts based on…negligence principles alone, ...
- often attrib 1 a : import and export trade b : the business of bartering or buying and selling c : illegal or disreputable usually commercial activity [the drug ] 2 a : the movement (as of ...
- Traffic Court
- : a local court having limited jurisdiction over violation of statutes, ordinances, and regulations governing the use of roads and motor vehicles
- : a specifically designated section of a larger area or territory: as a : a section of a municipality controlled by specific restrictions on permitted use (as for residences or agriculture) b : a ...